There will be some big events with the Archbishop, provisional draft plans include:
- Schools and Young People
- Remembrance weekend
They have stated the evangelists they are looking for are those who
- Will encourage the local church in evangelism
- Are sensitive to the anxiety and discomfort around the concept of evangelism, both in individuals and the culture of rural churches
- Are able to embrace the breadth of local churchmanship
- Are able to enrich and equip the mission activity, rather than super evangelists doing the evangelism instead of the local community or putting them off
- Will encourage ongoing investment in follow-up and discipleship after the event
- Can gently encourage the church members with their ongoing mission and evangelism, without overwhelming them
- Ideally understand, ands definitely are sensitive to, rural ministry and mission & ministry in village churches (small communities).
- Will encourage events to be a springboard or catalyst rather than hit and run.
As soon as the other two diocese are ready to go public we will let you know.
Our aim in writing isn’t just to give you lots of information! But we are sharing this now to ask you to:
- Pray for these mission weekends. For God’s enabling in the preparation.
- Pray about your involvement and participation. We are keen to take a team with us.
- Let me know by the end of the year if you would like to be considered to be part of the team with a brief note of the kind of things you would like to contribute and be involved in. Please do that by emailing Russell@LambethPalace.org.uk by 31 December.
Following expressions of interest, we will be in touch with all those who have indicated a desire to be involved and then begin to gather and form the team and begin working with the particular diocese.
We have learned much to date having three such missions under our belt, and so are keen to keep learning and working together, for the sake of lives touched by the love of Christ.
Grace and peace,
Revd Canon Chris Russell,
Adviser to the Archbishop of Canterbury on Evangelism and Witness